Description: Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R., Fla.) is keeping up the pressure on Jay-Z and Beyonce over their recent trip to Cuba, reiterating Tuesday she wants questions answered about the nature of the visit. Americans are barred from tourist trips to Cuba, but there are exceptions for academic or cultural exchanges.
“There are a lot of better places they could go where they’re not feeding a monstrous regime because every dollar that is spent there goes to the Castro regime so they can further repress the Cuban people,” Ms. Ros-Lehtinen said on CNN Tuesday morning.
She added: “I wish that they would have a little more common sense and understanding and solidarity with the suffering of the Cuban people, and they ate at great places and stayed at beautiful hotels, none of which the Cuban people are allowed to eat or stay.”
Earlier, Ms. Ros-Lehtinen and Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R., Fla.) wrote to the U.S. Department of Treasury expressing concern about the trip. In the letter, both said they represent a community that has been “deeply and personally harmed by the Castro regime’s atrocities.”
“The restrictions on tourism travel are commonsense measures meant to prevent U.S. dollars from supporting a murderous regime that opposes U.S. security interests at every turn and which ruthlessly suppresses the most basic liberties of speech, assembly and belief,” the Republican lawmakers wrote.
Beyonce and Jay-Z marked their fifth wedding anniversary in Havana last week. The state-run website CubaSi called it a tourist trip. Beyonce and Jay-Z declined to speak with reporters.